- Recommended for people like this
- Overview of KZ ZEX
- Build quality
- Sound quality
- General comment
- Purchase link
- This review is written based on a "private purchase" or "product rented for a price".
- No remuneration or compensation, such as a manuscript fee, has been received for publishing this, and it is an honest evaluation based on measurement data from personal testing and personal opinion.
Recommended for people like this
- People who like a rich sound
- People who like a boomy sound
- People who like a sweet and plump sound
- People who like a muddy sound
- People who value cost.
- KZ Fans
Overview of KZ ZEX
- Total Score: 8.3 / 10.0
- Package: 7.5 / 10.0
- Build quality: 8.5 / 10.0
- Fitment: 8.5 / 10.0
- High range: 8.5 / 10.0
- Mid range: 7.5 / 10.0
- Low range: 6.0 / 10.0
- Less distortion: 8.0 / 10.0
- Cost performance bonus: 11.5 / 10.0
- Want to see the score ranking? Click here!
- Frequency response: 20Hz to 40kHz
- Impedance: 25Ω
- Sensitivity: 103dB
- Cable connector: 0.75mm 2pin
The package is simple. Since the price is the price, we can say that it is of a standard level. It can be positively evaluated as eco-friendly and environment-friendly.
The accessories are relatively complete. There are enough eartips.
- KZ ZEX
The build quality of the exterior is above the standard for the price range. It's quite well done.
It is heavy, but the fit is quite good.
REW Frequency Response
* This measurement is based on the HATS measurement, and the resonance peak is set at around 9 kHz.
Sound quality description
In this review, I use the standard eartips size L and drive it with the FiiO M15.
The KZ ZEX has a loose W-shaped, or rather V-shaped, variant of its sound signature. It has a warm, full sound with excellent dynamics, which makes it rather enjoyable to listen to, but it has a tendency to sound thick and dense, so there is a sense of pressure in the midrange. Also, the sound image in the midrange is basically flat and lacks developmental power. You may enjoy the unique depth and dynamism of the sound.
Please see here for detailed reviews on sound quality.
Sound quality general comment
The KZ ZEX is a strange earphone that has a terrible sound balance with excellent drivers. In other words, what you have there is the usual KZ.
It's a typical example of earphones that no matter how good the drivers are at a low price, if the tuning is bad, everything is ruined.
Sound quality features
- Warm and pleasant to listen to
- Excellent dynamism
- Sound with a sense of depth
- Excellent resolution
- Lacks color saturation
- Lacks a sense of freshness
- Lack of high frequency extension
- Lacks a sense of structure
- Boomy low frequencies
- Flat vocal expression
- Lacks consistency of sound image
The technical performance of the KZ ZEX is excellent, offering a sound comparable to the high end for an earphone that costs just under $30. However, the tuning is not to everyone's taste, pursuing the usual KZ hobby, and basically it is very niche and only a few listeners will be satisfied with it. The score looks good because of the large amount of points added for technical performance, but the recommendation is below mediocre. In other words, there's the usual KZ out there, who likes to make weird sounds with great material.