- Recommended for people like this
- Overview of Yu9 U-554
- Build quality
- Sound quality
- General comment
- Purchase link
- This review is based on a sample provided by Yu9 Audio to convey a sincere quality review to our readers.
- No remuneration or compensation, such as a manuscript fee, has been received for publishing this, and it is an honest evaluation based on measurement data from personal testing and personal opinion.
Recommended for people like this
- People who like near-field sound
- People who want earphones for vocal songs
- People who are looking for earphones for ASMR, voice drama, or narration
- Musicians and performers who want excellent stage monitors
- Etymotic Research fans
Overview of Yu9 U-554
- Total Score: 8.8 / 10.0
- Package: 8.5 / 10.0
- Build quality: 8.5 / 10.0
- Fitment: 9.5 / 10.0
- High range: 8.0 / 10.0
- Mid range: 9.5 / 10.0
- Low range: 9.0 / 10.0
- Less distortion: 7.0 / 10.0
- Cost performance bonus: 11.0 / 10.0
- Want to see the score ranking? Click here!
- Frequency response: 20Hz to 16kHz
- Impedance: 88Ω
- Sensitivity: 113dB/Vrms
- Cable connector: 0.78mm 2pin
Packaging meets price standard. The outer box is simple, but made of paper and easy to dispose of. The accessories are fairly complete.
- Yu9 U-554
- Many ear tips
- Carrying case
- Cleaning cloth
- Cleaning tool
- Cable clip
The build quality of the exterior is above the standard of the price range.
The fit and sound insulation are quite excellent. However, it is not at all suitable for those who do not like to put the earpiece deep into the ear.
REW Frequency Response
Sound quality description
In this review, I use the standard eartips size L and drive it with the FiiO M15.
Yu9 Audio claims that the U-554 is a clone of the Etymotic Research ER4B. In fact, its sound is quite faithful to the Etymotic target, with a midrange-oriented balance.
うーん、ナイスエティモ🤗— audio-sound @ hatena (@audio_sound_Twr) May 11, 2022
Please see here for detailed reviews on sound quality.
Sound quality general comment
Yu9 U-554 is a clone earphone that can be considered if you want to get an ER4B or ER4SR at a lower price. The fit and usability are superior to the original, and the sound, including characteristics other than frequency response, is made very close to the original. Considering the overall fit and feel, there are some areas where they can be used as upwardly compatible. For example, when used as stage monitors, they are clearly superior to the originals.
However, it may be necessary to take into account that in the same price range there is the ER2SE, which Etymotic positions as the studio monitor of the new era. The ER2SE is also a very good studio monitor in terms of resolution and low distortion.
Sound quality features
- High original sound fidelity
- Near-perfect near-field sound
- Rich harmonics
- Mild highs
- Good vocal focus
- Monitor-like low frequencies
- Forward localization-like
- Lacks expandability
- Lacks low-frequency depth
- Lacks clarity
- Upper midrange to upper mid-high range that tends to sound claustrophobic and noisy
The Yu9 U-554 is a well-made clone of the Etymotic Research ER4B. It has an improved fit, improved usability, and definitely better value for money than the original. The packaging is not cheap either.