- Recommended for people like this
- Overview of HUAWEI Freebuds Pro 2
- Build quality
- Connection quality
- Active noise canceling performance
- Compatible Apps
- Sound quality
- Sound quality features
- General comment
- Purchase Link
- This review is based on "private purchases" or "items rented for a consideration".
- No remuneration or compensation, such as a manuscript fee, has been received for publishing this, and it is an honest evaluation based on measurement data from personal testing and personal opinion.
Recommended for people like this
- People who like well-balanced sound
- People who like natural textured sound
- People who want powerful ANC models
- People who like studio tuning
- People who value cost-effectiveness
- People who value dedicated apps
- People who are sensitive to high frequencies
Overview of HUAWEI Freebuds Pro 2
- Total Score: 9.4 / 10.0
- Package: 8.0 / 10.0
- Build quality: 8.5 / 10.0
- Fit: 8.5 / 10.0
- High range: 9.5 / 10.0
- Mid range: 10.0 / 10.0
- Low range: 9.5 / 10.0
- Less distortion: 8.5 / 10.0
- Communication quality: 9.5 / 10.0
- Cost performance bonus: 12.5 / 10.0
- Want to see the score ranking? Click here!
- Continuous / maximum playback time: 4h (ANC ON) / 30h
- Waterproof performance: IP54
- Supported codecs: LDAC / AAC / SBC
Features of HUAWEI Freebuds Pro 2
- 【3-mic System】 HUAWEI FreeBuds 3i comes with two outward-facing mics to accurately pick up your voice while avoiding other environmental noises, and a third inward-facing mic receives the voice conducted inside your ears to further enhance call quality. Everything you say is clear regardless of the noises
- 【Petit Size, Mighty Sound】 With HUAWEI FreeBuds 3i's highly-sensitive diaphragm carefully tuned to deliver authentic, balanced audio and the 10 mm large dynamic drivers delivering powerful bass, you will feel the brilliance of every note in your ears
- 【Fill Your Day with Music】 One single charge offers up to 3.5 hours of listening pleasure, while the charging case delivers 14.5 hours of battery life that will fill your day with musical joy.* *Data are based on the test results of Huawei labs
- 【Ultimate Active Noise Cancellation】 While the outward-facing mic is detecting ambient noise to actively counter with the anti-noise, the inward-facing mic is picking up the rest noise in your ears for further cancellation. HUAWEI FreeBuds 3i offers a thorough noise-cancelling experience for your immersive enjoyment
- 【Pop to Pair, Ready to Start】 Pair HUAWEI FreeBuds 3i automatically with the pop-up window* when the charging case is open, and you are good to go. Battery status is also visible when pairing. Instantly enjoy your favorite music. *Pop-up window only adapts to Huawei smartphones with EMUI10 or above
The package meets the price level.
- HUAWEI Freebuds Pro 2
- Charging case
- USB Type-C cable
Build quality meets price standard.
The fit is good.
I tested it by connecting it to a Cayin N6II/E02 with LDAC.
I don't know because I haven't been in crowds, but it is stable in the home. Distance tolerance is excellent, and the connection is seamless and intact even at a distance of about 5 meters. Communication was uninterrupted and music could be heard consistently, even across obstructions.
There may be a small amount of background noise, but most people probably won't notice it.
The operating interface is a touch type.
|Power ON||Open the charging case lid|
|Power OFF||Insert the earphones into the charging case and close the lid.|
|Pairing||After turning on the power, press and hold the pairing button on the side of the case for 2 seconds|
|Play a song||Tap the multi-function button once|
|Stop playback||Tap the multi-function button once|
|Forward song||Tap the multi-function button twice|
|Backward||Tap the multifunction button three times|
|Volume +||Swipe up on the multi-function button|
|Volume -||Swipe the multi-function button down|
|Answer call||Tap the multi-function button once|
|End call||Tap the multi-function button once|
|Switch between ANC and Hear-Through||Press and hold the multi-function button for 2 seconds|
Active noise canceling performance
The ANC performance of the HUAWEI FreeBuds Pro 2 is above standard in its price range. Overall, it reduces all-around.
HUAWEI FreeBuds Pro 2 is compatible with the HUAWEI AI LIFE app, allowing you to customize the sound quality and controls to your liking.
What the app allows you to do:
- Customize Sound Quality
- Customize controls (ON/OFF only)
- Firmware update
- Factory reset
- Check device information
Sound quality description
The following review was tested on a FiiO M15 with an SBC connection.
HUAWEI FreeBuds Pro 2 has a near neutral sound signature.
Please see here for detailed reviews on sound quality.
Lows / Bass
The low frequency range of the HUAWEI FreeBuds Pro 2 is sufficiently linear to provide excellent perspective. Depth is also excellent.
Drums have a good sense of weight, with just the right amount of heft, and are tight and rhythmic, with a good sense of rumble, giving an excellent sense of realism. However, some may find it a little less robust as it lacks fatness.
The electric bass has excellent depth and good sink, although it sounds a bit bright.
In terms of presence, the balance is almost balanced or slightly weak with the midrange. Low-frequency lovers may find it qualitatively sounding fine, but the quantity may seem a bit lacking.
The midrange is fairly close to neutral, the texture is fairly accurate, and the sound image consistency is high, smooth, and transparent. In general, this is a well-tuned midrange.
The ear feel is natural and well constructed, and the three-dimensionality of the music is well reproduced. Transparency is high and the music is well separated from the background. The contours seem slightly soft. This may be a consideration for listening comfort. I prefer a little more sharpness.
The overall impression sounds natural, but the sense of detail is a little lacking.
Highs / Treble
The highs have excellent extension and excellent airiness, but lack a bit of definition and micro-detail, and are a bit less snappy and easily heard as lacking in subtlety.
Linearity is adequate and localization is quite good. Presence is also well balanced with the midrange, and the highs are quite good quality.
Sound quality general comment
HUAWEI FreeBuds Pro 2 has a very good neutral-based sound signature.
It also reads the ear information as you wear it and automatically adjusts the sound quality to be closer to neutral. During my measurements, I observed that the sound quality changed as I wore the device.
Sound quality features
- Almost perfect studio-tuned neutral sound
- Deep low frequency range
- Natural texture
- Consistent sound image
- Mild highs
- Excellent resolution
- Bass head could use a little more volume in the lower frequencies
- Lacks micro-detail
- Could use a little more luminance
The HUAWEI FreeBuds Pro 2 is a versatile true wireless earphone with near neutral sound balance, high resolution and clarity, and excellent active noise cancellation performance at the top of its price range. It also offers excellent functionality and usability, but the customizability of the controls is limited and cannot be completely customized to your liking.