- Recommended for people like this
- Overview of audio-technica ATH-TWX9
- Build quality
- Connection quality
- Active noise canceling performance
- Compatible Apps
- Sound quality
- Sound quality features
- General comment
- Purchase Link
- This review is written based on a "private purchase" or "product rented for a price".
- No remuneration or compensation, such as a manuscript fee, has been received for publishing this, and it is an honest evaluation based on measurement data from personal testing and personal opinion.
Recommended for people like this
- I like a chic sound that would suit quiet Jazz, mood music, or a solemn movie soundtrack.
- Looking for a model with multipoint support
- Emphasis on functionality
- Emphasis on design
- Looking for a model that supports Snapdragon Sound
Overview of audio-technica ATH-TWX9
- Total Score: 8.2 / 10.0
- Package: 8.0 / 10.0
- Build quality: 8.5 / 10.0
- Fit: 8.5 / 10.0
- High range: 8.5 / 10.0
- Mid range: 8.0 / 10.0
- Low range: 9.5 / 10.0
- Less distortion: 8.0 / 10.0
- Communication quality: 8.0 / 10.0
- Want to see the score ranking? Click here!
- Continuous / maximum playback time: 6h / 18.5h
- Waterproof performance: IPX4
- Supported codecs: Snapdragon Sound / aptX Adaptive / aptX / AAC / SBC
Features of audio-technica ATH-TWX9
Innovative sound that connects people to their hearts
Noise canceling to create a special silence
The passion of an artist is captured in a performance, the excitement of a creator's imagination in a moving image, or telecommunication with people you cannot see in person, friends, or business partners. People are connected by sound. The ability to create a space where people can connect with each other through sound has become the design concept for the next generation of premium earphones. The ATH-TWX9 fully wireless earphone, the ultimate in music and call performance, allows you to freely customize your sound space and even the way you use it.
Fitting performance that can be adapted to the differences of each individual ear to make your daily life more comfortable when you are closely connected to sound. Noise canceling functionality that instantly creates your own special quiet space, no matter what environment you are in, provides an overwhelming sense of immersion. Other new experiences include 360 Reality Audio for an immersive 3D sound field, Snapdragon Sound™, an advanced sound platform that upgrades the quality of music, video, and phone calls, and a deep UV sterilization system, a new habit for daily care of earphones. and a deep ultraviolet sterilization system, all of which are here to connect people with their hearts. All for the sake of a sound space that will be necessary in the future, where people and their hearts are connected.
- Φ5.8㎜ high-resolution driver that enables you to experience a clear sound image in silence. We have designed a new driver from scratch to achieve the best possible balance between these two elements. In a quiet space, you can experience the extended high frequency range and the delicate sound with good grain.
- Two noise-canceling systems for a personal space Hybrid digital noise-canceling technology for an infinitely pure and silent space Two small noise-canceling MEMS microphones*, one for each earphone, pick up ambient noise and transmit it to a high-precision noise-canceling processor, which then sends it to the earphones.
- The noise is transmitted to a high-precision noise canceling processor. Through a proprietary noise filter design, noise cancellation performance is maximized and unwanted noise is cancelled out.
- Beam-forming microphone technology enables clear voice transmission even in noisy environments. Beamforming Microphone Technology utilizes these two microphones to deliver a clear voice to the other person even in noisy environments.
- Hear-Through function allows you to enjoy music while letting outside sounds in naturally.
- When the earphones are placed in the charging case, a deep ultraviolet LED that sterilizes bacteria and viruses is irradiated* to sterilize the surface of the earpieces. *The irradiation occurs after the lid of the charging case is closed.
The package meets the price level.
- audio-technica ATH-TWX9
- Charging case
- USB Type-C cable
Build quality meets price standard.
The fit is good.
I tested it by connecting it to a Cayin N6II/E02 with aptX.
I don't know because I haven't been in crowds, but it is stable in the home. Distance tolerance is excellent, and the connection is seamless and intact even at a distance of about 5 meters. Communication tends to be choppy across obstructions, making it difficult to listen to music consistently, but the connection is maintained.
There may be a small amount of background noise, but most people probably won't notice it.
The operation interface is a touch panel + physical buttons.
|Power ON||Open the lid of the charging case and take out the earphones|
|Power OFF||Store the earphones in the charging case|
|Pairing||If there is no connection destination when the earphones are turned on, pairing mode is automatically activated|
|Song playback||Click the multi-function button on the right side once|
|Stop playback||Click the right multifunction button once|
|Forward song||Click the right multifunction button twice|
|Backward||3 clicks on the right multifunction button|
|Volume +||Click the left multifunction button once|
|Volume -||2 clicks on the left multifunction button|
|Answer call||Click the multifunction button once|
|End call||Click multifunction button once|
|Quick hear-through||Click left multifunction button 3 times|
|Switch between ANC and Hear-Through||Tap left touch panel twice|
Active noise canceling performance
The ANC performance of the audio-technica ATH-TWX9 is substandard for its price range. In aircraft mode, which is considered the strongest, it reduces outside noise relatively effectively in the midrange.
Compatible with the audio-technica Connect app.
What the app allows you to do:
- Volume Step: Allows you to change the number of volume adjustment steps.
- Codec: Allows you to change the codec to be connected. (Android version only)
- Ambience Control: Allows you to switch between noise canceling and hear-through functions. You can also select a preset noise canceling mode, personalize noise canceling system, and optimize noise canceling system.
- Quick hear-through: You can adjust the type of quick hear-through and the music playback volume during quick hear-through.
- Equalizer: The equalizer can be adjusted.
- Low Latency Mode: Allows playback with less sound delay when playing games or watching videos.
- Left/Right Balance: Adjustment Allows you to adjust the left/right volume balance.
Sidetone: Allows you to turn on/off the sidetone function, which allows you to hear your own voice and surrounding sounds through the microphone during a call (this function is turned on at the time of purchase).
- Key Assign: Allows you to set the function assigned to the multi-function button and touch sensor.
- Touch Sensor: Touch sensor ON/OFF and sensitivity can be set.
Voice Assistant: Allows you to set what is activated by voice assistant operation.
- Wear Detection: Allows you to set ON/OFF of the wear detection function.
Guide tone: Allows you to change the voice guidance played from the product to a confirmation tone.
- Management of connected devices: You can select the Bluetooth device you want to connect from the list of Bluetooth devices that have been connected so far and switch the connection.
REW Frequency Response
Sound quality description
The following review was tested on a FiiO M15 with an LDAC connection.
The audio-technica ATH-TWX9 has a V- or U-shaped sound signature.
Please see here for detailed reviews on sound quality.
Lows / Bass
The audio-technica ATH-TWX9's low frequencies extend relatively deep. The sense of perspective is not bad, but the resolution is not good for the price, so it does not sound three-dimensional.
Drums have excellent weight, and rumble is quite perceptible, but the deepest parts are not shown, so the sense of realism is not great.
The electric bass is also black enough and expansive enough to provide a starting point for contrast, but it lacks rawness.
There is a slight focus on the lower midrange, which is common in solid bass sounds.
The midrange of the audio-technica ATH-TWX9 has a consumer-like sound with an emphasis on depth. The balance sounds chic and elegant with a little less coloration, which is the vibe of the Otex sound I like.
The snare tends to lack sharpness and power, and the guitar edge sounds a bit subdued, and the vocals are calm and mature, but tend to sound dark and a bit lifeless.
The midrange is low enough, with low enough distortion and fairly high resolution to make it a flagship for audio-technica fans, but it does have a few quirks, so we do not recommend it for those who do not like the audio-technica sound.
It is hot in the mid-range, a bit sluggish, and the sound image tends to sound a bit blurred. Despite the low distortion, impressive transparency is not quite there.
Despite the lack of emphasis in the frequency response, there is a good sense of focus in the midrange due to the acoustic structure, which provides the highest resolution in the midrange.
Highs / Treble
The high frequencies seem to be tuned for definition. Extension is not bad, but a bit lacking.
The highs are tuned with low resolution, and despite their emphasis on frequency response, their presence is actually quite suppressed.
It also has excellent linearity and is mild and pleasant to the ear, but it is too transparent and indistinct.
Sound quality general comment
In general, the audio-technica ATH-TWX9 sounds a bit quirky, so it's hard to recommend it.
Personally, I like it a lot, but if you ask me if it is worth more than 20,000 yen, I am not so sure. In the past, I probably would have liked it more, but I guess my ears are more discerning these days, and I tend not to feel comfortable with it if I perceive even the slightest hint of a flaw.
As a flagship for audio-technica fans, it's probably perfect, but if you ask me if it's the sound for audiophiles, it's not quite the same. It is more like an earphone that makes you listen to the sound through an audio-technica filter, rather than listening to the music itself.
However, even so, I personally like them better than the Technics EAH-AZ60 flagship that I reviewed most recently. This one has stronger habits, so I rate the more versatile EAH-AZ60 with its more versatile frequency response higher in my recommendation, but the EAH-AZ60's sound is too low-resolution and sounds too cheap to me.
If you ask me which sounds more upscale, the EAH-AZ60 or the ATH-TWX9, it is clearly the ATH-TWX9, and if you ask me which sounds cooler, I would say the ATH-TWS9 has more sense. However, please judge this point minus the fact that I like the audio-technica sound.
Sound quality features
- Elegant and chic
- Sound with depth
- High midrange resolution
- Strong quirks
- Unnatural texture expression
- Poor coloration and subdued
- Subdued high frequency range
The audio-technica ATH-TWX9 has a subdued, elegant, and chic sound that is very typical of audio-technica. The included app is also highly functional and can be customized in almost any way. However, the active noise canceling performance may not be as good.