- Basic specifications
- Sound quality
- Recording signature
- Final verdict
This article is a translation of the following Japanese article.
This time we will focus on ULTRASONE Edition 15. ULTRASONE is a German audio maker founded in December 1990, and features a unique surround sound simulation technology called S-Logic. Unlike conventional headphones, where sound directly reaches the ear, it is said that this S-Logic spreads the sound like the sound of a speaker and allows it to reach the sound. S-Logic EX, which has evolved even further from Edition 5, has been adopted, and it has also been adopted in Edition 15. Edition 15 adopts the open type, further expanding the sound field expression of S-Logic EX.
- Frequency responce: 5hz-48khz
- Impedance: 40Ω
- Sensitivity: 94dB
Suitable for high-end machines, it comes in a very elaborate package. The leather case can only be said to be gorgeous. Two kinds of cables are attached, and each end plug is 3.5mm and 6.3mm.
I think that the wearing feeling is good, but the lateral pressure is a little stronger. Also, it may get a little damp in the summer.
- SAMURA HATS Type3500RHR System: HEAD & TORSO, left and right S-Type ear model (Type4565 / 4566: IEC60268-7 compliant)
- AWA type 6162 711 ear simulator
- Microphone preamplifier: Type4053
- Type5050 microphone amplifier power supply
- Audio interface: ROLAND Rubix 24
- Analyzer software: TypeDSSF3-L
*Due to the response of the ear simulator, the reliability below 20hz and above 16khz is not high.
- [1st time] Separate left and right
- [1st time] Average left and right
- [1st time] Separate left and right (free sound field corrected)
- [1st time] Left-right average (free sound field corrected)
- [2nd time] Separate left and right
- [2nd time] Average left and right
- [2nd time] Separate left and right (free sound field corrected)
- [2nd time] Left-right average (free sound field corrected)
- [3rd time] Separate left and right
- [3rd time] Average left and right
- [3rd time] Separate left and right (free sound field corrected)
- [3rd time] Left-right average (free sound field corrected)
- 1st to 3rd comparison (free sound field corrected)
- 1st to 3rd comparison (free sound field corrected/2khz-24khz)
- 1st to 3rd average (free sound field corrected)
The sound signature has a U-shape when viewed as a whole. The lows rise gently, the mids and lows are well connected, there is a deep valley at the top of the mids, and from there there are large mountains towards the highs. There are mountains in the super high range, and the sound field is open.
The low range is well connected to the mid range. The layering is good, the low range with good visibility, the bass sound and bass drum kick are appropriately drawn, and the thickness is sufficient and there is a presence. Contrabass also has a rich feeling.
However, since the relationship between the mid range and the low range is close, the hot air in the low range is likely to rise to the middle range, and the hot air around the vocal is rather stagnant and cloudy, and the mid range is not clean. Therefore, in pop music, vocals may sound slightly buried in the low range. Although it sounds live, it may not be suitable for people who are not good at making the midrange noisy.
The vocals are sweet and the body is ample and full. In Real Paradis "KAZE TO OKA NO BALLAD", vocal expression tends to be harsh if there is not enough body, but with this headphone, the expression is very stable and you will not feel husky or consonant. However, since the mid-high range to the high range are rich, there is no shortage in expressing nuances. Generally, the sense of distance between musical instruments and vocals is friendly and not separable.
While the mid-high range is moderately glossy, you can feel a slight crushing emphasis in the high range, but you can feel a moderate level of calm that particles are not scattered too high. The sound is created with a sense of silence that does not overwhelm the glitz while giving it a lively appearance, and it is designed to be comfortable and balanced in the midrange.
This headphone has a claim of "a high-density sound field that does not diffuse and fade in a vast spatial image", but it is truly achieved in tuning. Although it has a wide sound field, the presence of individual sounds is thick, the sounds are harmonious, and there is a rich sense of density in the space.
Comparison with GRADO PS2000e
Let's compare it with the open type high-end headphones GRADO PS2000e which can be a rival at about the same price range. The graph below has been adjusted for free sound field and adjusted so that it intersects at 1khz.
First of all, GRADO PS2000e is basically better in the middle range. In Editon 15, the low-frequency hot air easily bleeds into the mid-range, causing turbidity, so the PS2000e will be more satisfying for those who want to hear the mid-range cleanly. For most people, the PS2000e has a more stable feeling, it feels more calm, and it sounds refreshing. On the other hand, in terms of resolution, Editon 15 has a more solid feel, and I think the outline is audible, compared to the relatively soft PS2000e. You will also find that the sound of Edition 15 is very full, rich and more spectacular and powerful.
Please refer to the following for the basic principles of recording signatures and how to enjoy them.
The recording signature is posted for advisory. Free sound field adjustment is added. The source is FiiO M15 and the gain setting is high.
The music used in the recording signature is from the game maker Nippon Falcom, which I love.
Sophisticated Fight / Sora No Kiseki First Chapter & Second Chapter Super Arrange Version / Copyright © Nihon Falcom Corporation
Sophisticated Fight / The Legend of Heroes: Sora No Kiseki FC Evolution Original Sound Track / Copyright © Nihon Falcom Corporation
ユルギナイツヨサ / The Legend of Heroes : Zero No Kiseki Super Arrange Version / Copyright © Nihon Falcom Corporation
- Sophisticated Fight / We Love Sora No Kiseki / Copyright © Nihon Falcom Corporation
- FEENA / イース ピアノコレクション / Copyright © Nihon Falcom Corporation
- Sophisticated Fight / Sora No Kiseki Zanmai (Original Soundtrack) / Copyright © Nihon Falcom Corporation
- TO MAKE THE END OF BATTLE / Ys Ⅰ&Ⅱ ベストサウンドコレクション / Copyright © Nihon Falcom Corporation
- The Decisive Collision / The Legend of Heroes: Sen No Kiseki Super Arrange Version / Copyright © Nihon Falcom Corporation
- GENS D'ARMES / Ys VIII -Lacrimosa of DANA- Original Soundtrack Complete / Copyright © Nihon Falcom Corporation
- Mighty Obstacle (2003) / Music From The History Of Ys / Copyright © Nihon Falcom Corporation
If you're the type of person who wants a sense of fulfillment in music, Edition 15 is the high-end headphones for you. The resolution is high, the sound is thick enough, and the sound is dense, but the sound field is wide and there is no oppression. There is enough heat and glossy coloring, and a powerful sound that wakes up like the autumn colors that fall is developed there.